History of Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard
Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard has been working to relieve hunger and improve access to healthy food for all since 1998. Founded by two mothers who had experienced poverty firsthand, MHC was intentionally designed with a focus on health, choice and respect.
The first pantry operated out of a garage. In 2001, we moved to 1010 South Walnut Street, a space provided in-kind by Perry Township Trustee. Over the next few years, we became an independent nonprofit, hired our first staff members, and expanded our programs and services. While nutrition and good food has always been at the heart of MHC’s operations, in 2003 we formally added the Community Gardening and Nutrition Education Programs. In 2006, the pantry facility was renovated and expanded, nearly doubling in size.
In June 2013, MHC moved into a new facility, bringing all of our programming under one roof. Our new facility located at 1100 West Allen Street, has an onsite teaching garden, kitchen, classroom, and quadrupled food storage for the pantry.
Over the years, Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard has distributed more than 7 million pounds of rescued food and provided more than 800,000 client services. Today, over 3,000 patrons visit the pantry in an average week. And our 200 active volunteers contribute more than 12,000 hours of service, powering the pantry and gardens.